SOUTH Korea scrambled F-16 fighter jets and returned fire after North Korea launched an artillery barrage against a populated South Korean island near the countries' western border.
In what appeared to be one of the most serious border incidents
since the 1950-53 war, South Korea's government convened in an
underground war room and air force jets were reportedly scrambled to the
Yellow Sea island.
The clash came after North Korea's disclosure
of an apparently operational uranium enrichment program - a second
potential way of building a nuclear bomb - which is causing serious
alarm for the US and its allies.
The firing came after North
Korea's disclosure of an apparently operational uranium enrichment
program - a second potential way of building a nuclear bomb - which is
causing serious alarm for the United States and its allies.
Some
50 North Korean shells landed on the South Korean border island of
Yeonpyeong near the tense Yellow Sea border, damaging dozens of houses
and sending plumes of thick smoke into the air, YTN television reported.
The military said 13 Marines were injured and YTN said two civilians were also hurt.
"A North Korean artillery unit staged an illegal firing provocation at 2.34 pm (0534 GMT) and South Korean troops fired back immediately in self-defence," a ministry spokesman said.
"A Class-A military alert issued for battle situations has been imposed immediately," the spokesman said.
One island resident, Lee Jong-Sik, told YTN: "At least 10 houses are burning. I can't see clearly for the smoke. The hillsides are also on fire.
"We were told by loudspeakers to flee our homes."
Yeonpyeong lies just south of the
border declared by United Nations forces after the inconclusive war six
decades ago, but north of the sea border declared by Pyongyang.
The
Yellow Sea border was the scene of deadly naval clashes in 1999, 2002
and last November.
Tensions have been acute since the sinking of a
South Korean warship in March, which Seoul says was the result of a
North Korean torpedo attack. Pyongyang has angrily rejected the charge.
In
late October, North and South Korean troops exchanged fire across their
Cold War border, coinciding with a state of high alert for the South's
military in the buildup to the G20 summit of world leaders in Seoul
earlier this month.
South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak convened
an emergency security meeting in response to the latest incident, a
presidential spokesman said.
"He is now in an underground war
room to discuss possible responses with ministers of related agencies
and national security advisers," the spokesman said.
President
Lee urged the officials to "handle it (the situation) well to prevent
further escalation", the spokesman said.
The firing comes after
Kim Jong-Un, the little-known youngest son of Kim Jong-Il, was
officially recognised as number two in North Korea's political system,
clouding outsiders' view of its military and nuclear intentions.
The
new crisis erupted as a US special envoy headed to China Tuesday to
seek its help in curbing North Korea's new nuclear project, revealed to
US experts who described a sophisticated program to enrich uranium.
Stephen Bosworth has also visited South Korea and Japan this week to
discuss the disclosure, which US officials say would allow the isolated
North to build new atomic bombs.
Mr Bosworth, speaking in Tokyo,
ruled out a resumption of stalled six-nation talks - aimed at disarming
the North of nuclear weaponry in return for aid and other concessions -
while work continues on the enrichment program.
China chairs the
talks and is also the North's sole major ally and economic prop. It has
come under pressure to play a leading role in resolving the latest
nuclear dispute.
China appealed for the six-party talks to resume
after the new revelations, and expressed concern over today's
cross-border firing.
"We have taken note of the relevant report
and we express concern over the situation," foreign ministry spokesman
Hong Lei told reporters.
"We hope the relevant parties do more to
contribute to peace and stability on the Korean peninsula," he said.
Russia also warned against an escalation of tensions on the peninsula.
http://www.news.com.au/world/bombardment-of-south-korean-island-sparks-artillery-clash-with-north/story-e6frfkyi-1225959632651#ixzz1663PsKhr


